Arleen Auger, Anne Sofie von Otter, Michael Chance, Howard Crook & John Tomlinson
The English Concert Choir & The English Concert, Trevor Pinnock
One of the freshest and most exciting Messiahs on CD reconciling 'authentic' practice with the work's undoubted scope for grandeur. Superb soloists. — More…
DownloadsWhat are FLAC and MP3?
- Howard Crook (Tenor), Michael Chance (Alto), Anne Sofie von Otter (Contralto), Arleen Auger (Soprano), Trevor Pinnock (Director), John Tomlinson (Bass)
- The English Concert, The English Concert Choir
- Trevor Pinnock
- Recorded: 1988-01-08
- Recording Venue: Abbey Road Studios, London
1. Accompagnato: Comfort ye, My people
2. Air: "Ev'ry Valley shall be exalted"
3. Chorus: "And The Glory Of The Lord"
4. Accompagnato: Thus saith the Lord
5. Air: "But who may abide the day of his coming"
6. Chorus: "And He shall purify the sons of Levi"
7. Recitative: Behold, a virgin shall conceive
8. "O thou that tellest good tidings to Zion"
10. Accompagnato: For behold, darkness shall cover
11. Air: The people that walked in darkness
12. Chorus: "For unto us a Child is born"
13. Pifa (Pastoral Symphony)
Reci: There were shepherds ... Acc: And suddenly there
15. Chorus: Glory to God in the highest
16. Air: "Rejoice greatly, o daughter of Zion"
17a. Recitative: Then shall the eyes of the blind
18a. Duet: He shall feed his flock
19. His yoke is easy
20. Behold the Lamb of God
21. Air: He was despised
22. Chorus: "Surely He hath borne our griefs"
23. Chorus: "And with His stripes we are healed"
24. Chorus: "All we like sheep have gone astray"
25. Accompagnato: All they that see Him
26. Chorus: He trusted in God
27. Accompagnato: "Thy rebuke hath broken His heart"
28. Arioso: "Behold and see"
29. Accompagnato: He was cut off
30. Aria: But thou didst not leave
31. Chorus: Lift up your heads
32. Recitative: Unto which of the angels
33. Chorus: "Let all the angels of God"
34a. Air: "Thou art gone up on high"
35. Chorus: "The Lord gave the word"
36. Air: How beautiful are the feet
37a. Chorus: Their sound is gone out
38. Air: "Why do the nations so furiously rage together?"
39. Chorus: Let us break their bonds asunder
40. Recitative: He that dwelleth in heaven
41. Air: "Thou shalt break them"
43. Air: "I know that my Redeemer liveth"
44. Chorus: Since by man came death
45. Accompagnato: Behold, I tell you a mystery
46. Air: The trumpet shall sound
47. Recitative: Then shall be brought to pass
48. Duet: O death where is thy sting?
49. Chorus: But thanks be to God
50. Air: "If God be for us"
51. Chorus: "Worthy is the Lamb... Amen"