UPDATE: Royal Mail have now resumed shipments on their TRACKED & SIGNED and SIGNED services but delays should be expected, please choose these services if available to you or FEDEX if your order is urgent.
Arleen Auger, Anne Sofie von Otter, Michael Chance, Howard Crook & John Tomlinson
The English Concert Choir & The English Concert, Trevor Pinnock
One of the freshest and most exciting Messiahs on CD reconciling 'authentic' practice with the work's undoubted scope for grandeur. Superb soloists. — More…
DownloadsWhat are FLAC and MP3?
- Howard Crook (Tenor), Michael Chance (Alto), Anne Sofie von Otter (Contralto), Arleen Auger (Soprano), Trevor Pinnock (Director), John Tomlinson (Bass)
- The English Concert, The English Concert Choir
- Trevor Pinnock
- Recorded: 1988-01-08
- Recording Venue: Abbey Road Studios, London
1. Accompagnato: Comfort ye, My people
2. Air: "Ev'ry Valley shall be exalted"
3. Chorus: "And The Glory Of The Lord"
4. Accompagnato: Thus saith the Lord
5. Air: "But who may abide the day of his coming"
6. Chorus: "And He shall purify the sons of Levi"
7. Recitative: Behold, a virgin shall conceive
8. "O thou that tellest good tidings to Zion"
10. Accompagnato: For behold, darkness shall cover
11. Air: The people that walked in darkness
12. Chorus: "For unto us a Child is born"
13. Pifa (Pastoral Symphony)
Reci: There were shepherds ... Acc: And suddenly there
15. Chorus: Glory to God in the highest
16. Air: "Rejoice greatly, o daughter of Zion"
17a. Recitative: Then shall the eyes of the blind
18a. Duet: He shall feed his flock
19. His yoke is easy
20. Behold the Lamb of God
21. Air: He was despised
22. Chorus: "Surely He hath borne our griefs"
23. Chorus: "And with His stripes we are healed"
24. Chorus: "All we like sheep have gone astray"
25. Accompagnato: All they that see Him
26. Chorus: He trusted in God
27. Accompagnato: "Thy rebuke hath broken His heart"
28. Arioso: "Behold and see"
29. Accompagnato: He was cut off
30. Aria: But thou didst not leave
31. Chorus: Lift up your heads
32. Recitative: Unto which of the angels
33. Chorus: "Let all the angels of God"
34a. Air: "Thou art gone up on high"
35. Chorus: "The Lord gave the word"
36. Air: How beautiful are the feet
37a. Chorus: Their sound is gone out
38. Air: "Why do the nations so furiously rage together?"
39. Chorus: Let us break their bonds asunder
40. Recitative: He that dwelleth in heaven
41. Air: "Thou shalt break them"
43. Air: "I know that my Redeemer liveth"
44. Chorus: Since by man came death
45. Accompagnato: Behold, I tell you a mystery
46. Air: The trumpet shall sound
47. Recitative: Then shall be brought to pass
48. Duet: O death where is thy sting?
49. Chorus: But thanks be to God
50. Air: "If God be for us"
51. Chorus: "Worthy is the Lamb... Amen"