'The leading record company in classical music in Scandinavia'.
Most record labels begin with a need to fill a niche. When Robert von Bahr founded BIS in 1973, he seems to have found any number of musical niches to fill. The Swedish label explores the unjustly neglected domains of music, travelling all over the world to make recordings, from concert halls in Singapore or São Paulo, to a church in the English countryside, a student chapel in Kobe or to Lahti's superb Sibelius Hall. BIS fosters works by women composers, is a highly respected ‘early music’ label (recording with, among others, Emma Kirkby, Dan Laurin, Bach Collegium Japan and London Baroque) as well as one of the liveliest contemporary music labels (with composers like Kalevi Aho, Christopher Rouse, Sally Beamish and James MacMillan).
Further Reading: BIS
The Russian pianist talks to David about his new album of the Bagatelles & Piano Sonatas Nos. 31 & 32.
The soprano talks to Katherine about her Nietzsche-inspired recital of songs depicting vulnerable women by Debussy, Koechlin, Poulenc, Schumann and others, out now on BIS.
Recent Best Sellers: BIS
New Releases: BIS
Future Releases: BIS
Series & Collections: BIS
- Brahms: Works for Solo Piano (5)
- Brautigam Mozart Concertos (12)
- C P E Bach - Keyboard Concertos (20)
- C P E Bach - Solo Keyboard Music (37)
- Glinka Complete Piano Music (3)
- Grieg - Complete Songs (7)
- Grieg - Piano Music (10)
- Haydn - Solo Keyboard Music (12)
- Mark Wigglesworth/NRPO Shostakovich Symphonies (7)
- Miguel Baselga plays Albéniz Complete Piano Music (9)
- Mozart - Solo Piano Music (12)
- Neeme Järvi Tchaikovsky Symphonies (7)
- New Sibelius Complete Edition (14)
- Noriko Ogawa Debussy Complete Piano Music (6)
- Opening Doors (8)
- Osmo Vänskä Mahler Symphonies (3)
- Osmo Vänskä Sibelius Symphonies (3)
- Perspectives (1)
- Ronald Brautigam Beethoven (19)
- Schnittke Edition (26)
- Sibelius Edition (77)
- Sorabji Transcendental Studies (5)
- Suzuki Bach Cantatas (68)
- Thomas Dausgaard Complete Schubert Symphonies (4)