Pekka Juhani Hannikainen (Composer)
Born: 9th December 1854, Nurmes, Finland
Died: 13th September 1924, Helsinki, Finland
Pekka Juhani "P. J." Hannikainen was a Finnish composer and the head of the musical branch of the prominent Hannikainen family. His uncle was the writer and journalist Pietari Hannikainen.
Hannikainen was born in Nurmes but moved to Jyväskylä to attend school. He then studied chemistry in Helsinki and later lived in Jyväskylä and Helsinki.
Hannikainen was the founder and conductor of the first Finnish student choir, the YL Male Voice Choir, from 1882 to 1885. He also founded the Mieskuoro Sirkat choir in 1899.
All Works: Hannikainen, P J
- Hämyssä kesäisen yön (Summer Twilight) (1)
- Jouluaattona (Oi terve, joulukuusi) (2)
- Joulun kellot (Hiljaa, hiljaa helkkyellen) (Softly, Softly Ringing) (1)
- Karjalaisten laulu (1)
- Kautta tyynen, vienon yön (3)
- Nuku, nuku lapsukainen (Sleep, my Child, Sleep) (1)
- Pyhäaamun rauha (The Peace of Sunday Morning) (2)
- Suojelusenkeli (Maan korvessa kulkevi lapsosen tie) (Guardian Angel) (2)
- Tuikkikaa, oi joulun tähtöset (5)