Music, Modern Culture, and the Critical Ear
- Author: Attfield, Nick
- Author: Winters, Ben
Printed on demand
- Introduction. Nicholas Attfield and Ben Winters
- Section 1 : Personal Tributes
- 1. Susan McClary, 'Peter Franklin's Guilty Pleasures'
- 2. Kate Daubney, 'From Opera House to Cinema: Forging a New Discipline in 1988'
- Section 2 : Modernism and Modernity
- 3. Sherry Lee and Thomas Peattie, 'Extraordinary Listening (Mahler - and Franklin)'
- 4. Ben Winters, 'Korngold's Violanta: Venice, Carnival, and the Masking of Identities'
- 5. Jonathan Hicks, 'Erik Satie and the Subject(s) of Mobility'
- Section 3 : Reconsidering Interwar Germany
- 6. Nicholas Attfield, 'Ein Menschenherz geopfert - oder viele!': Hans Pfitzner and the Idea of a Volksoper '
- 7. Matthew Werley, 'The Architecture of Trauma: Richard Strauss, Salzburg, and the Great War'
- 8. Alexander Binns, 'Cozarinsky's La Guerre d'un seul homme and Musical Categories: (Re)-Framing Pfitzner, Strauss, Schreker, and Schoenberg Cinematically'
- Section 4 : Musicology and its Values
- 9. Christopher Chowrimootoo, '"Britten Minor": Constructing the Modernist Canon'
- 10. Aidan J. Thomson, 'Elgar's Part-Song Cycle, Op. 53: Idealism and Education'
- 11. David Cooper, '"It must be done fresh and new"-Bernard Herrmann's Score for North by Northwest '
- 12. Christopher Morris, 'Back from the Dead: Kubrick, Music and the Auteur'