Beethoven's Century: Essays on Composers and Themes
- Author: MacDonald, Hugh
Macdonald's curiosity is boundless. . . and he satisfies it with unfailing scholarship and wit. . . . He gives the most thorough account yet of Hugo Wolf's complicated critical attitude to Wagner... — More…
Printed on demand
- Beethoven's Game of Cat and Mouse
- Schubert's Pendulum
- Paganini, Mendelssohn and Turner in Scotland
- Berlioz and Schumann
- Alkan's Instruments
- Liszt the Conductor
- Wolf's Adulation of Wagner in the Vienna Press
- Massenet's Craftsmanship
- Skryabin's Conquest of Time
- Janacek's Narratives
- Raise Your Glass to French Music!
- Comic Opera
- "G-flat Major, 9/8 Meter"
- The Musicians' Arrondissement
- Les Anglais
- Dr. Mephistopheles
- The Prose Libretto
- 'Un pays ou tous sont musiciens...'
- Modernisms that Failed